About The Wheelchair , Seating and Mobility Clinic
- The Wheelchair, Seating and Mobility Clinic at Columbia Rehabilitation Clinic, Inc. offers adults and children with disabilities a variety of seating and mobility services.
- Therapists are available to customize the patient’s individual seating and mobility needs.
- Prior to your appointment, you will be contacted regarding the selection of a Durable Medical Equipment (DME) supplier. The clinic will coordinate your visit time with the DME supplier and/or an Assistive Technology Professional (ATP). At this time all questions can be answered about funding, delivery, and service of your
- Follow up at the clinic is needed for timely delivery and accurate fitting of your equipment. At this time all necessary adjustments and
modifications can be made.
- Yearly appointments are recommended with your supplier to maintain your equipment so that it remains safe and operational for years.
Therapists working in conjunction with the DME supplier/ATP will perform one or more of the following evaluations to address each person’s specific needs:
- A Posture Evaluation will be performed to determine the flexibility of postural impairments. From there, we will recommend appropriate seating system options to address balance and improve posture. Measurements are also taken to make the wheelchair and seating system fit the individual.
- A Wheelchair Evaluation is performed to determine the most efficient and functional means of mobility. A functional evaluation will help to identify equipment that will allow each person the highest level of independence in transfers, weight shifts, and daily activities.
- A Pressure Mapping Evaluation is performed to determine the most appropriate wheelchair cushion and back rest to maximize pressure distribution. This mapping system is an educational and assessment tool used to identify the areas of highest risk for skin breakdown and aids in the selection of a cushion and seating system to effectively redistribute pressures for each individual.
- Wheelchair Training to optimize function in multiple environments.
The Clinic is held every other Wednesday from 1pm-3pm at the Columbia Rehabilitation Clinic, Inc., 2362 Two Notch Rd Columbia, SC 29204.
Call 803-799-7007 for additional information or to schedule an appointment at the next clinic.